When considering what food to eat to prevent fibroids, it is important to look at your fat consumption as this is important. Many people especially those concerned with weight loss think that they need to eliminate ALL fat. Before you do this, we need to examine fat and its impact on health including fibroid development.
When looking at your fat consumption and how it may be impacting your health and increasing or reducing your risk of developing fibroid tumors as well as fibroid growth and symptoms, you need to divide fat into two categories namely, bad fats and good or healthy fats.
Bad Fats and Fibroids
While the exact cause of fibroid tumors remains unknown, there are certain risk factors that can increases your chances of developing uterine fibroids and your diet is one of these areas and fats are usually part of most diets.
Consuming the wrong type of fat (bad or unhealthy fats) can lead to ill-health including hormone imbalance that may be related to fibroid development as well as the prevalence of symptomatic fibroid tumors.
Bad fats include;
- Trans fats (trans fatty acids) such as margarine are very bad for your health. Trans fats are chemically altered so that they are solid at room temperature.
- Saturated fats found in poultry, red meat, shellfish, etc. Saturated fats are solid at room temperature except in very hot climates.
These bad fats impact health in the following ways;
- Circulatory problems when these fats negatively affect blood vessels.
- Blood thickening which increases the risk of blood clots, heart attacks and stroke.
- Unhealthy cell membranes created from these bad fats as opposed to cell membranes created from healthy fats.
- Saturated fats from animal sources produce an essential fatty acid (EFA) that produces certain “bad” prostaglandins which increase inflammation as well as cramps which means that they also worsen fibroids.
- Certain meat and poultry are raised using various steroids, growth hormones, antibiotics, etc, which are then transferred to the body and lead to hormone imbalance along with other detrimental effects. Meat or dairy from organic, free-range and grass-fed sources are better if you must eat them. These will probably still be unwise for any woman struggling with uterine fibroids, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, PMS, etc.
- Bad fats raise cholesterol levels which can be converted into additional estrogen leading to hormonal imbalance which is also known as an estrogen dominant state which fibroids thrive in.
- And so on and so forth.
Trans fats should be eliminated entirely from your diet. Eliminate or significantly reduce saturated fats.
Good or Healthy Fats and Fibroids
When contemplating what food to eat to prevent fibroids or to cure your body of fibroids naturally, it is essential that you consume healthy fats which are broken down into the following two groups;
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs)
- Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs)
The essential fatty acids (EFAs) contained in these healthy fats are the omega 3 fatty acids as well as the omega 6 fatty acids.
Omega-6 fatty acids are found in walnuts, sesame seeds and oils, hazelnuts, evening primrose oil, many vegetables, etc.
Omega-3 fatty acids are usually lacking in Western diets and are found in cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, cod, halibut, etc, as well as flaxseed.
These fatty acids produce “good” prostaglandins in the body that help to prevent cramps, reduce PMS symptoms, reduce or eliminate pain from uterine symptoms, reduce or eliminate symptoms of uterine fibroids, are anti-inflammatory, etc.
It is important to get the right balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in order to promote hormone balance and prevent an estrogen dominant state if you wish to cure uterine fibroids naturally. You can obtain this balance by eating the foods that contain these substances or by incorporating supplements or the oils derived from the various foods containing these fatty acids.
Following a proper fibroid healing diet which shows you what type of food to eat to prevent fibroids or treat them is an effective fibroid natural treatment approach to follow that will not only cure but prevent fibroid tumors. For more on a fibroid healing diet as well as other natural methods to cure and prevent uterine fibroids, click here.